Francisco Martin competed in the 18th season of the ABC singing reality show “American Idol.” The American singer-songwriter of Filipino descent finished in the Top 5.
Hosted by Ryan Seacrest, “American Idol” Season 18 aired on ABC from February 16, 2020 to May 17, 2020 with Katy Perry, Luke Bryan and Lionel Richie as the judges. Because of the new coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the latter episodes of the show featured Martin and his fellow contestants filming from their homes.
Martin is one of the few Asian singers who made it to the Top 5 of “American Idol.” Here are 13 more interesting things about the Filipino singer-songwriter:
- He stands 5’10”.
- He was born in San Francisco, California, United States.
- His parents Jon Dijamco Martin and Fatima Martin are both from the Philippines.
- He has an older brother named Kiko Martin and a younger sister named Francesca Martin.
- Their mother is a wound care clinical nurse specialist and a clinical adjunct professor.
- He is a songwriter, guitarist and drummer.
- When he was 9 years old, his father bought him his first drum set.
- He is the drummer and one of the vocalists of The Aura, a San Francisco-based Filipino band founded and managed by his father.
- Before “American Idol” Season 18, he once performed on drums with The Aura covering “Buwan” by JK Labajo.
- He was a pre-law college student at College of San Mateo in San Mateo, California when he auditioned for “American Idol” Season 18.
- When he auditioned for “American Idol” Season 18 in Sunriver, Oregon, USA, he sang “Alaska” by Maggie Roberts, who took to social media to express her support for him.
- He was 19 years old when he performed “Alaska” again in the “American Idol” Season 18 finale on May 27, 2020 along with “Adore You” by Harry Styles.
- He sang his original song “Lover” in the “American Idol” Season 18 solo round in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California.