Jonny West competed in the 18th season of the ABC singing reality show “American Idol.” The singer-songwriter finished in the Top 5.
Hosted by Ryan Seacrest, “American Idol” Season 18 aired on ABC from February 16, 2020 to May 17, 2020 with Katy Perry, Luke Bryan and Lionel Richie as the judges. Because of the new coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the latter episodes of the show featured Sam and her fellow contestants filming from their homes.
West hails from Murrieta, California, United States. Here are 13 more interesting facts about the Californian singer-songwriter:
- He was born in Murrieta to Steve West and Michelle West.
- He was a piano teacher before auditioning for “American Idol.”
- He loves to rap.
- Among his music influences are Nas, Eminem, Hopsin, The Fray and Matt Corby.
- He was 23 years old when he released his debut EP “Oh.” with four songs namely “Glow,” “Feel Like Myself,” “Heaven” and “I’ll See” in 2019.
- He is a big fan of Randy Newman.
- He joined “American Idol” Season 18 with his girlfriend Margie Mays, who also competed in the show’s 17th season.
- When he auditioned for “American Idol” Season 18 in Los Angeles, California, he sang his original song “Makin’ Love.”
- He was “American Idol” contestant number 51,021.
- From his apartment in Studio City in Los Angeles, California, he sang “Almost There” from the Disney movie “The Princess and the Frog” and dedicated “Amazing Grace” to his mother and grandmother, who were by his side in the Mother’s Day episode of “American Idol” Season 18.
- In the “American Idol” Season 18 finale, he sang “Makin’ Love” again as well as “Can’t Keep a Good Man Down” by Eddie Money.
- He made up his Skinny Neutron stage name before high school because he moved around a lot in school.
- He has his own band named The Jonny West Band.