James Christian “Jimmy” Kimmel was born in Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States. His father James John Kimmel is of German descent while his mother Joan Iacono is of Italian descent.
Jimmy is a television host, comedian, writer and producer. He hosts and executive produces the “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” late-night talk show, which premiered on ABC on January 26, 2003.
Costume designer Gina Maddy and Jimmy got married in 1988 but they divorced in 2002. Their children Katherine “Katie” Kimmel and Kevin Kimmel were born in 1991 and in 1993, respectively.
Katie owns an online shop selling ceramics and T-shirts. Kevin is an actor.
After dating Sarah Silverman from 2002 to 2009, Jimmy started dating “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” co-head writer Molly McNearney. He and McNearney got engaged in 2012 and got married in 2013.
McNearney and Jimmy’s children Jane Kimmel and William John “Billy” Kimmel were born in 2014 and in 2017, respectively. Billy was born with tetralogy of Fallot (TOF) with pulmonary atresia, a rare congenital heart defect.
Some of Jimmy’s relatives appeared on “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” Among them are his cousin Sal Iacono, an attorney, comedian, writer and game show host, as well as their aunt Concetta “Chippy” Potenza and her late former husband Francis Potenza, a New York City Police Department officer.
“Jimmy Kimmel Live!” was originally filmed at Hollywood Masonic Temple in Hollywood, California, USA but its location was moved to the Zappos Theater on the Las Vegas Strip in Clark County, Nevada, USA on April 1, 2019. Here are 13 facts about the show’s host:
- Raised Catholic, he was an altar server when he was a child.
- In 1997, he made his TV debut by co-hosting “Win Ben Stein’s Money” and won the Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Game Show Host in 1999 for hosting the show.
- From 1999 to 2003, he co-hosted the Comedy Central show “The Man Show” with Adam Carolla.
- In 2000, he made his film debut by playing himself in “Down to You” and voicing Corky in “Road Trip.”
- He attended Ed W. Clark High School in Las Vegas, Nevada, the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) in Paradise, Nevada and Arizona State University in Tempe, Arizona, USA. In 2013, he received an honorary degree from the UNLV.
- His younger brother Jonathan Kimmel is a director, writer, producer, actor and composer for TV and film while their sister Jill Kimmel is a comedian.
- Released in July 2019, his first book “The Serious Goose” is an interactive children’s picture book featuring his own illustrations.
- He plays the bass clarinet.
- He is narcoleptic.
- He is a co-founder of the Los Angeles Feast of San Gennaro, an annual tradition in New York City.
- He was 52 years old when he became the honorary mayor of Dildo, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada in August 2019.
- He is a fundraiser for the Democratic Party.
- As a comedian, he considers David Letterman and Howard Stern as his biggest influences.