Many Americans now want to boycott Jimmy Kimmel because of several things he did in the past. He is accused of using the N-word in an imitation Snoop Dogg song in 1996, mocking Megan Fox‘s teenage sexual assault in 2009 and impersonating comic George Wallace in 2013.
Both Dogg and Wallace are African-American. Fox is of Irish, French and Native American descent.
Kimmel is known for being a staunch critic of Donald Trump. The 45th president of the United States took to Twitter on June 22, 2020 to clarify that he does not support punishing comedians for their jokes but he criticized the “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” host and executive producer nonetheless.
Trump was not the only celebrity who took to Twitter to react to the call to boycott Kimmel. Here are 13 other tweets about the controversy:
1. conservative radio host and political commentator Wayne Dupree
2. “Poplitics” host Alex Clark
3. writer Bridget Phetasy
4. talk show host Joseph John “Joe Pags” Pagliarulo
5. conservative political commentator, podcaster and author Michael Knowles
6. director and producer Robby Starbuck
7. author and Foundation for Liberty and American Greatness (FLAG) founder and president Nick Adams
8. filmmaker, author and journalist Mike Cernovich
9. The Federalist co-founder Sean Davis
10. trial lawyer and retired Army infantry colonel Kurt Schlichter
11. conservative author, anti-Islam activist and ACT! for America founder Brigitte Gabriel
12. Human Events managing editor Ian Miles Cheong
13. Turning Point USA founder Charlie Kirk
On June 18, 2020, Kimmel announced on “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” that he will take a break for some months. His friend Matt Damon appeared in the episode.
“I’ve been doing this job for almost 18 years,” Kimmel said. “I’ve done 3,130 shows and there’s nothing wrong.”
“My family is healthy,” the “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” host continued. “I’m healthy. I just need a couple of months off.”
Kimmel has yet to respond to the campaign to boycott him. He is expected to host the 72nd Emmy Awards on September 20, 2020, which will mark the third time he is hosting the awards ceremony.