ONE Championship is set to return after going on hiatus due to the new coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. On June 26, 2020, the Singapore-based martial arts organization’s chairman and CEO Chatri Sityodtong took to Facebook to announce that “ONE: No Surrender” will take place in Bangkok, Thailand on July 31, 2020.
A closed-door event with no live audience at the venue, “ONE: No Surrender” will be broadcast live all over the world. The fight card has yet to be announced.
Because of the travel restrictions brought about by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, it is expected that most of the ONE Championship athletes to be included in the “ONE: No Surrender” fight card are those who are currently in Thailand. It is also good news for other fighters from countries who will be allowed to travel there in the next few days.
Thailand is about to welcome the first group group of foreigners amid the pandemic, including students, teachers, experts, skilled workers, business people, investors, people with Thai families and patients who agree to quarantine. Around 50,000 foreigners are likely to visit the country under the new rules and most of them will be required to accept 14-day quarantine after their arrival, the Bangkok Post quoted Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration spokesman Taweesilp Visanuyothin as saying.
In Europe, the Netherlands has lifted a travel ban to 12 European countries while Iceland, Belgium, France and Switzerland opened their borders to all European and Schengen Area travelers, according to CNBC. In Asia, Japan is considering re-opening its borders to travelers from Thailand, Vietnam, Australia and New Zealand.
Thailand’s borders could be opened to Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Taiwan and certain cities in China, which are considered to have a low-risk for spreading the coronavirus, according to The Thaiger. Consider all these, here are 13 mixed martial arts matches that may be included in the “ONE: No Surrender” fight card:
- Lightweight: Pieter “The Archangel” Buist (Netherlands) vs Ev “E.T.” Ting (New Zealand / Malaysia)
- Lightweight: Antonio “The Spartan” Caruso (Australia) vs Daichi Abe (Japan)
- Featherweight: Shannon “OneShin” Wiratchai (Thailand) vs Koyomi “Moushigo” Matsushima (Japan)
- Bantamweight: Mark Fairtex “Tyson” Abelardo (New Zealand / Philippines) vs Daichi Takenaka (Japan)
- Bantamweight: Mazakazu “Ashikan Judan” Imanari (Japan) vs Fu Chang Xin (China)
- Flyweight: Reece “Lightning” McLaren (Australia) vs Chan Rothana (Cambodia)
- Strawweight: “Kru Rong” Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke (Thailand) vs Yosuke “The Ninja” Saruta (Japan)
- Strawweight: Pongsiri “The Smiling Assassin” Mitsatit (Thailand) vs Yoshitaka “Nobita” Naito (Japan)
- Strawweight: Phat Soda (Cambodia) vs Senzo Ikeda (Japan)
- Women’s Atomweight: Mei “V.V.” Yamaguchi (Japan) vs Stamp Fairtex (Thailand)
- Women’s Atomweight: Jenny “Lady GoGo” Huang (Taiwan) vs Rika “Tiny Doll” Ishige (Thailand)
- Women’s Atomweight: Itsuki “Strong Heart Fighter” Hirata (Japan) vs Denice “The Menace Fairtex” Zamboanga (Philippines)
- Women’s Atomweight: Nou Srey Pov (Cambodia) vs Nyrene “Neutron Bomb” Crowley (New Zealand)