Dr. Van Tran Hewitt is the wife of Charles “Chuck” Edward Hewitt. The latter is the Virginia Department of State Police officer in the viral video of a traffic stop taken on April 20, 2019 in Fairfax County, Virginia, United States involving African-American man Derrick T. Thompson.
Both Van and Chuck are alumni of Emory and Henry College in Emory, Virginia. Here are 13 more facts about her:
- She is of Vietnamese descent.
- She holds a doctorate degree in pharmacy (PharmD) and a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree.
- She is a board certified pediatric pharmacy specialist (BCPPS) and a board certified pharmacotherapy specialist (BCPS).
- She is a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) clinical specialist.
- She is part of the Inova Fairfax Medical Campus Pharmacy Residency Faculty in Falls Church, Virgina. Her fellow faculty members are David Allen, April Anderson, Aaron J. Bagnola, Dev Chatterji, Wade Chi, Adam Cochrane, Alisa Escano, April Finnigan, Brittany Good, James Landzinski, Lorrie LeClair, Ji Lee, Mary Looby, Leila Mohassel, Chika Onwudiwe, Lina Saliba, Jenna Smith, Casey Washington and Ruth Wright.
- She met Charles in Emory and Henry College. They graduated there in 2005. She was cum laude.
- She had to keep herself extra busy when her husband was deployed to Iraq after their graduation from Emory and Henry College. Her husband served in the U.S. Army from 2005 to 2008.
- What she most appreciates while an Emory and Henry College student was the community service she performed. She volunteered for Habitat for Humanity and for the adventure center of River’s Way.
- She was a Bonner Scholar for three years while attending Emory and Henry College. She received the outstanding senior scholarship at graduation.
- Among her Emory and Henry College batch mates were Suzanne Aiken Brown, Daniel Phillip Collins, Jason Lee Corvin, Phillip Andrew DiPietro, Andrew Krudwig Flynn, Patrick Christopher Luper, Kahla Long McClure, Johnathan Stamper Schill, Cecille Lawson Skeens, Javier Soriano, Scott Wesley Sutton, Elizabeth Ann Leo, Sarah Beth Blackwell Mathesius, Jerrid Dewayne Overton, Jodie Ketron Overton, Brendan Erich Roche, Paige Leslie Shoes, Laura Beth Weaver, Sarah Katherine Weeks and William Brett Whitt.
- She and Charles have a daughter named Scarlette “Letti” Hewitt.
- In 2011, she received her doctorate in pharmacy from the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Pharmacy in Richmond, Virginia.
- She had her postgraduate year one (PGY1) residency at Bons Secours Richmond Health Systems in Richmond and her postgraduate year two (PGY2) residency at Children’s National Health Systems in Washington, D.C., USA.