Charles “Chuck” Edward Hewitt is a former Virginia Department of State Police officer. He is accused of unconstitutionally assaulting African-American man Derrick T. Thompson of Woodbridge, William County, Virginia, United States.
At around 4:15 p.m. on April 20, 2019, Thompson was stopped for an expired inspection decal while he was traveling north on Interstate 495 at the 51 mile marker in Fairfax County, Virginia. Hewitt and his fellow Virginia State Troopers conducted a search of Thompson’s vehicle and one of them believed there was a strong odor of marijuana in it.
“Brother, how do you think this is going to end?” Hewitt responded to Thompson when the latter said he believed his detention and the search were illegal. “Are you ready to go through all of this today just for that? There’s probably not even any weed in here.”
Thompson filmed the interaction with his cellphone placed on his dashboard. At one point, Hewitt looked at the cellphone camera and said, “This is going to be posted on YouTube.”
“This is going to get posted, after all of this, and I guarantee,” Hewitt continued. “Look at this. Everybody who is going to see this, I guarantee, they are going to say, you Sir, you got the coolest cop in the whole nation, the most coolest, calmest, collected cop because I ain’t even trying to be here to do that you, man, and all the comments, there’s going to be two thousand comments saying, ‘You, what a dumbass.'”
With a chokehold, Hewitt pulled Thompson out of his car. The African-American man was later on treated for an abrasion to his forehead at the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center where he was taken into custody.
The video of the encounter surfaced on social media on July 13, 2020. In a statement obtained by WTOP News, Virginia State Police superintendent Colonel Gary T. Settle said the conduct Hewitt displayed during the course of the traffic stop is neither “in agreement with the established standards of conduct required of a Virginia trooper” nor “characteristic of the service provided daily across the Commonwealth of Virginia by Virginia State Police personnel.”
An investigation started when the Virginia State Police received the video of the incident and Hewitt was placed on administrative leave. Here are 13 more things about him:
- He is a native of Camden, Kershaw County, South Carolina, USA.
- He previously lived in Elgin, South Carolina and in different parts of Texas, USA including Fort Hoot and Killeen.
- He and his wife Dr. Van Tran Hewitt live in Springfield, Fairfax County. Aside from Springfield, he has lived in other parts of Virginia including Burke.
- He earned a bachelor’s degree from Emory and Henry College in Emory, Fairfax County, where he played baseball and met Van. They both graduated in 2005.
- From 2005 to 2008, he served in the U.S. Army. He was deployed to Iraq after graduating from Emory and Henry College.
- On October 10, 2010, he joined the Virginia State Police.
- He was a member of the 116th Basic Session which graduated from the Virginia State Police Academy in Richmond on June 24, 2011.
- He was among 62 new Virginia State Police troopers who started their career patrolling in counties and along interstates across the Commonwealth in July 2011, according to the Camden Chronicle-Independent.
- In September 2018, he was one of the Virginia State Troopers who participated in a GoRuck in Arlington, Virginia as tribute to Virginia State Police sergeant Mike Middleton, one of the first responders at the Pentagon after it was attacked on September 11, 2001.
- His annual salary was $53,766 from 2015 to 2017. He received a total of $62,376 between 2018 and 2019, according to the Richmond Times-Dispatch.
- He and Van have one daughter when he encountered Thompson on April 20, 2019.
- In February 2021, the Virginia State Police fired him for cause, the Washington Post quoted Thompson’s attorney Joshua Erlich as saying.
- He was 41 years old when Van gave birth to their second child in December 2022.
Categories: biographical data, crimes, Lifestyle, LISTS, North America, United States
Why would you give out all that private information about him to the public? I disagree with what happened but you are setting him up to major harassment and possible injury.
LikeLiked by 2 people
Since Department Internal Affairs always protect their own… I think it’s good that the personal information about Trooper Charles Hewitt has been made public. It may serve to remind other Cops that consequences of retribution can occur when they engage in illegal conduct. Hewitt worked real hard to harass and injure Thompson… now he may face the same fate. Time for Karma!
LikeLiked by 2 people
bwahahahahah Why WOULDN’T you? Awwww is he going to be harassed? Is he, Karen?
Why would you even try to defend an obvious scumbag?
LikeLiked by 1 person
Maybe he’ll think before he lets the steroids that his “african American” wife prescribes him, kick in. See if you play a violin when a dirty cop does it to you or someone you love
It’s public information, OBVIOUSLY! And maybe, just maybe he needs a little ‘harassment’ or a possible ‘injury’. The good book says and eye for an eye. So this evil being ‘harassed’ AND ‘INJURED’ this young innocent man. What say you should be his punishment? And being fired doesn’t count because it’s obvious he is TOTALLY unstable and shouldn’t have been a cop in the first place.
LikeLiked by 1 person
awww are you going to have a pitty party for the NOW EX cop??
or do you want the world to have a pitty party for you boo hoo..
the cop deserves what he gets..
once an ass, always an ass
Why would you post his personal, private information? You are setting him up for major harassment and/or harm!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Hi! This officer doesn’t deserve the sanctity you’re granting him. Is the email address not public? Is any of this information undiscoverable? Then why protect him? Let’s open him up to the Lord and all Creation, and see where that gets us.
LikeLiked by 1 person
He deserves what ever he or his family gets, should have never put him self in the predicament. Personally I hope the worst for him and his family. Cops do this shit all the time and it is about time they are held accountable for thiere actions.
wishing nothing ill will for he and his family informs everyone here that you’re not a good citizen. what the cop did was wrong , but the reciprocal malice you desire is another kind of mental illness.
Well Mr. Ted Burke… I’m all for an eye for an eye as the ‘Good Book’ teaches… What would you have his punishment be? And it can’t be him being fired from a job he shouldn’t have attained in the first place. And in my opinion he should’ve been drug tested. He just seems to be like a gym rat hyped up on steroids. He’s a sick man and needs to go far far away from the general population. Like in the rainforest, some lone island somewhere with all kinds of animals. He not fit for society.
God bless you for posting this Public Servants information. Let him be exposed for the monster that he is. Let the public contact this fool.
What’s with these MAGA racists and their Asian wives??
Well done for posting his personal information. As a Brit who regularly visits the USA I can tell you that the western world is looking down on the USA and your racist society. I suppose it doesn’t help when you elect a self centered buffoon as your president.
This officer is just begging to be fired and he should get just that
It’s public information.
Steroids! it wuz the steroids with dun it!
The FBI in 2006 warned of White Supremacist inside Law Enforcement. Well if you ask me, it looks like Ol Trooper Chuck Hewitt just may fit that profile. Because usually if it quacks like a duck, then it probably a duck. But Black people didn’t need the FBI to confirm our findings of these evil people in Law Enforcement. We’ve known who they are long ago because we live through this BS daily in America. Other people are now listening, but only because we have receipts, receipts in our phones that capture video, the internet live streaming, etc… American policing is so terribly evil that even good White folks are filming, and they now believe our stories.
You trolls have nothing better to do. The guy kept saying “I’m not resisting”, but refused to get out of the car. That is resisting. The only reason the cop got fired was because he was cocky. The driver should learn to obey commands from law enforcement. You bunch of snowflakes.