Joseph Donald “Jojo” Rosenbaum of Waco, Texas, United States was one of the victims of Kyle H. Rittenhouse. They were in the same Black Lives Matter demonstration in Kenosha, Wisconsin, USA in the evening of August 25, 2020.
That night, Rittenhouse was one of the armed civilians who wanted to protect businesses from vandalism. Wearing a red shirt, Rosenbaum was one of the protesters demanding justice for Jacob Blake, who was shot by Kenosha Police Department officer Rusten Sheskey in the back at least eight times on August 23, 2020.
During the demonstration, Rosenbaum threw a plastic bag at Rittenhouse, who was carrying a Smith & Wesson AR-15 style .223 rifle. When the former tried to grab the rifle, the latter opened fire.
Rosenbaum was shot in the back, groin and left hand. His pelvis was fractured and his right lung and liver were perforated.
In addition, Rosenbaum suffered a superficial wound to his left thigh and a graze wound to his forehead. Here are 13 more things about the late Waco native:
- He was born on September 21, 1983.
- He was 5’3″ and his registered weight was 165 lbs.
- He went to McClintock High School in Tempe, Arizona, USA.
- On December 16, 2002, he was convicted in Arizona and was sentenced to 12 and a half years for two counts of sexual conduct with a minor. He racked up 42 disciplinary infractions while serving his sentence in Arizona State Prison Complex-Eyman in Florence, Arizona.
- He was found guilty of disobeying order in Arizona on August 6, 2003, on April 28, 2004, on August 8, 2005 and on April 10, 2009.
- In Arizona, he was found guilty of assault with weapon on January 22, 2007, possession or manufacture of weapon on May 15, 2008, tampering with security or safety development on April 10, 2009 and arson and possession of drugs or narcotics on October 23, 2009.
- He was found guilty of assault on staff on March 16, 2009, on April 10, 2009, on March 3, 2010 and on March 31, 2010 and of obstructing staff on August 17, 2010 in Arizona.
- From 2011 to 2014, he attended Pima Community College in Pima County, Arizona.
- On August 15, 2017, he was included in the Wisconsin sex offender registry. He was removed from the registry after his death.
- He has a daughter born in 2018. She lives in Waco.
- On August 27, 2019, he was engaged to Kariann Sue Swart.
- From Arizona, he moved to Kenosha in 2019. He started working at a Wendy’s restaurant in Kenosha on October 7, 2019.
- He had an open case for misdemeanor bail jumping, which was filed on July 30, 2020. The conditions of bond prohibited him from possessing or consuming alcohol and controlled substances without a prescription and from having contact including the residence, electronic or third party with Swart.