Robert Hunter Biden is a lawyer and investment advisor. He is the second son of Joseph “Joe” Robinette Biden Jr., the 47th vice president of the United States, and the late Neilia Hunter Biden.
Hunter is the two stepson of Jill Jacobs Biden. Here are 13 more things about him:
- He was born in Wilmington, Delaware, USA on February 4, 1970 to Joe and Neilia. On December 18, 1972, Neilia and her daughter Naomi Biden, who was born on November 8, 1971, died in an automobile crash in Hockessin, Delaware on December 18, 1972. Joe married Jill on June 17, 1977 and their daughter Ashley Biden was born on June 8, 1981.
- He attended Archmere Academy, a Catholic high school in Claymont, Delaware.
- In 1992, he earned his bachelor’s degree in history from Georgetown University in Washington, D.C., USA. He attended Georgetown University Law Center for one year before transferring to Yale Law School in New Haven, Connecticut, USA, where he graduated in 1996.
- In 1993, he met Kathleen Buhle at a church in Portland, Oregon, USA where he was serving as a Jesuit volunteer. They got married in the same year. In October 2015, he separated from her. In 2016, she filed for divorce and accused him of “spending extravagantly on his own interests including drugs, alcohol, prostitutes, strip clubs and gifts for women with whom he has sexual relations.”
- In 1996, he started working at MBNA America. He started as an executive and went on to become a senior vice president. He left the company in 2001 but still received consulting fees from the Delaware-based banking holding company until 2005.
- In 1997, he bought a dilapidated estate in Wilmington, which was originally owned by Anna Sasso, according to The New Yorker.
- In 1998, he started working as the executive director of economy policy coordination at the U.S. Department of Commerce. He left after the end of 42nd U.S. president Bill Clinton‘s administration in 2001.
- Appointed by 42nd U.S. president George W. Bush as a gesture of bipartisanship, he became a member of the Amtrak Board of Directors in July 2006. He resigned in February 2009.
- In 2009, he co-founded Rosemont Seneca with Devon Archer and Christopher Heinz. In 2013, the investment and advisory firm established private equity fund BHR Partners along with U.S.-based Thornton Group LLC and two asset managers registered in China.
- He has been a reserve officer since 2012. He required two waivers before joining the U.S. Naval Reserve in May 2013. He had a previous drug use incident and he was 43 years old, which was above the normal age for a military recruit. In February 2014, he was discharged from the Navy for testing positive for cocaine. In April 2014, he joined the board of the Ukrainian natural gas company Burisma after a change of regime in Ukraine and became a counsel in the law firm Boies Schiller Flexner LLP.
- His big brother Beau Biden died of brain cancer on May 30, 2015. Beau married Hallie Olivere Biden in 2002 and their children Natalie Biden and Robert Hunter Biden II were born 2005 and 2007, respectively.
- In 2016, he started dating Hallie. Joe, Jill and Hallie’s father Ron Olivere were all supportive of the relationship. He and Hallie ended their relationship in 2017. In August 2018, Lunden Alexis Roberts gave birth to their child in Arkansas, USA. In May 2019, he married South African filmmaker Melissa Cohen, who gave birth to their son in Los Angeles, California, USA in March 2020.
- In April 2019, his term as a member of the board of Burisma ended.