Daniel Joseph Harris is a white man from Michigan, United States. He was involved in the thwarted plot to kidnap 49th Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer while the U.S. is battling against the new coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Harris does not have any known criminal history prior to the thwarted plot to kidnap Wilmer. Here are 13 more things about him:
- He was born in 1997.
- He is a resident of Lake Orion, Michigan.
- He served in the U.S. Marines from 2014 to June 2019.
- He was a rifleman and he attained the rank of corporal E-4 in 2019. His final duty assignment was at Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville, North Carolina, USA.
- On July 18, 2020, he met his fellow kidnapping conspirators in Ohio, USA where they discussed attacking a Michigan State Police facility.
- On August 9, 2020, he and his co-conspirators participated in a tactical training in Munith, Michigan. When asked about kidnapping Whitmer, he suggested, “Have one person go to her house. Knock on the door and when she answers it, just cap her.”
- On August 23, 2020, he and seven other militia group members met at his home in Lake Orion. All attendees were required to bring personal documents to confirm their identities. They discussed concerns about being infiltrated by law enforcement.
- On September 12, 2020, he went to Luther, Michigan where he and his co-conspirators participated in a field training exercises at a property owned by Ty Garbin, also a member of the militia group. Adam Fox, one of the leaders of the group, briefed them on the plan to kidnap Whitmer. In the evening, he and two others remained in Luther while their co-conspirators conducted a nighttime surveillance of the governor’s vacation home near Elk Rapids, Antrim County, Michigan.
- Still in Luther on September 13, 2020, he became aware of the surveillance operation his co-conspirators had conducted and he expressed regret that he had not participated in it.
- He stayed away from his wife and their children during the months he and his co-conspirators planned and trained to kidnap Whitmer.
- On October 8, 2020, he, Fox, Garbin and their co-conspirators Kaleb Franks, Brandon Caserta and Barry Croft with conspiracy to kidnap Whitmer in federal court in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Except Croft, they all appeared in court on the same day and requested the court appoint them attorneys. Their bond hearings will be on October 13, 2020.
- He was booked into the Kent County Jail in Grand Rapids. He was charged with conspiracy to commit kidnapping, which carries a prison sentence of up to life in prison.
- He is represented by Parker Douglas. The lawyer told WJRT-TV, “All of this is something that he didn’t envision happening so he has given me information that makes me call into question at least some of the things that are related in the complain and that just means certain things that may have been said or related that he believes may have been taken out of context. It’s one government agent’s statement about what happened. Usually, you find out a lot more happened and there is a lot more to it when you dig into a case so I expect to learn more in the coming days.”