Kawhi Anthony Leonard is an African-American professional basketball player. Nicknamed the Claw or the Klaw, he made his National Basketball Association debut in 2011.
Leonard is 6’7″ tall. Here are 13 more things about him:
- He was born in Los Angeles, California, United States in 1991 to Mark Leonard and Kim Robertson. Mark owns a car wash in Compton, California where he was fatally shot on January 18, 2008.
- He attended Canyon Springs High School in Moreno Valley, California. For his junior year, he transferred to Martin Luther King High School in Riverside, California. As a senior student of Martin Luther King High School, he was named California Mr. Basketball.
- From 2009 to 2011, he attended San Diego State University in San Diego, California where he played basketball. His girlfriend Kishele Shipley went to the same university.
- In 2011, the Indiana Pacers selected him in the NBA draft but later on traded him to the San Antonio Spurs. He was the 15th pick overall. On December 10, 2011, he signed a multi-year deal with the San Antonio Spurs. He played for the team from 2011 to 2018. He had a contract with Nike from October 2011 to September 2018.
- In 2012, he was named to the NBA All-Rookie First Team and was chosen to play for the USA men’s basketball Select Team.
- On April 23, 2015, he was named the NBA Defensive Player of the Year.
- On July 10, 2016, Shipley gave birth to their daughter Kaliyah Leonard.
- On July 18, 2018, the San Antonio Spurs traded him to the Toronto Raptors. As a Toronto Raptors player, he was named 2019 NBA Finals Most Valuable Player on June 13, 2019.
- In November 2018, he signed an endorsement deal with New Balance.
- In March 2019, Shipley gave birth to their son in Canada, making the child a Canadian citizen.
- In June 2019, he filed a federal lawsuit against Nike accusing the athletic footwear company of unlawfully copyrighting his personal logo, which he claimed he created in college. U.S. District Judge Michael W. Mosman rejected his claims on April 22, 2020.
- On July 10, 2019, he signed with the Los Angeles Clippers. He debuted for the team on October 22, 2019.
- On February 16, 2020, he was named the NBA All-Star Game MVP of the 69th NBA All-Star Game.