Andrew Harnett was a native of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Here are 10 more things about him:
- He was born in 1983.
- He was the youngest of three sons.
- He always wanted to be a police officer, his older brother Jason Harnett told CBC.
- He was a member of the Canadian Armed Forces.
- In 2002, he joined the Calgary Police Service.
- A decorated officer, he who won at least two Chief’s Awards for life-saving.
- In 2019, he was promoted to sergeant and was assigned to Saddle Ridge, Calgary.
- At around 10:50 p.m. on December 31, 2020, he was conducting a traffic stop in the area of Falconridge Boulevard and Falconridge Drive Northeast in Calgary when he was fatally struck by a sport utility vehicle, a 2006 Infiniti FX, driven by Al-Azan Shah Muhammad with Amir Abdulrahman as a passenger.
- He died in the hospital minutes before January 1, 2021.
- He is the 12th Calgary Police Service officer to be killed while on duty since 1878.
(This is a developing story. More details will be added.)