Rachel Meghan Markle is an African-American woman born and raised in Los Angeles, California, United States. As an member of the British royal family, she is called Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.
Markle is a former actress. Here are 13 more things about her:
- She was born in Canoga Park, California to European-American father Thomas Markle Sr. and African-American mother Doria Ragland. When she was 6 years old, her parents divorced. She is the half-sister of Thomas Markle Jr. and Samantha Markle.
- She attended Hollywood Little Red Schoolhouse and Immaculate Heart High School, which are both in Los Angeles.
- In 1999, she was admitted to Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, USA. After her junior year, she interned at the U.S. embassy in Buenos Aires, Argentina. In 2003, she graduated with a bachelor’s degree with a double major in theater and international studies.
- In 2002, she made her acting debut by playing Jill in a “General Hospital” episode.
- In 2004, she started dating film producer Trevor Engelson. They got married Ocho Rios, Jamaica on September 10, 2011 and divorced in August 2013.
- From 2011 to 2018, she played Rachel Zane in “Suits.”
- In 2014, she started dating celebrity chef and restaurateur Cory Vitiello. They broke up in July 2016.
- She played Amy Peterson in “When Sparks Fly” in 2014 and Cassandra Brand in “Dater’s Handbook” in 2016, which are both Hallmark Channel television movies.
- In June 2016, she started a relationship with Queen Elizabeth II’s grandson Prince Harry.
- In September 2017, she and Prince Harry made their first public appearance together at the Invictus Games in Toronto, Canada. Their engagement was announced on November 27, 2017 by his father Charles, Prince of Wales.
- On March 6, 2018, the Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby baptized her and confirmed her into the Church of England. On May 16, 2018, she and Prince Harry had a private exchange of vows in their backyard. Their public marriage ceremony was held at St. George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle in England on May 19, 2018.
- She was 38 years old when she gave birth to her son Archie Mountbatten-Windsor in May 2019.
- On March 31, 2020, she and Prince Harry ceased undertaking official engagements as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. In June 2020, they bought a house on the former estate of Riven Rock in Montecito, California. In July 2020, she suffered a miscarriage. On February 14, 2021, it was announced that she was pregnant again. On March 7, 2021, CBS aired an inclusive interview of Oprah Winfrey with her and Prince Harry.