Kellie Chauvin is a Hmong American radiologist, beauty queen and real estate agent. She lived in different parts of the United States including Wisconsin and Minnesota.
Chauvin is the former wife of Derek Michael Chauvin, a former police officer in Minneapolis, Hennepin County, Minnesota. They do not have children together.
After working Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis for 13 years, Kellie resigned and went to Kaplan University in Davenport, Iowa, USA. She later pursued a career as a real estate agent.
It has yet to be confirmed whether or not Kellie is keeping Derek’s surname after their divorce. Here are 13 more things about her:
- She was born May Thao in Laos in 1974.
- In 1997, she and her family fled to safety in Thailand where they in a refugee camp for three years.
- In October 1980, she and her family moved to Eau Claire, Wisconsin.
- In 1984, she was placed in a kindergarten class with younger classmates who could read and write English better than she did.
- On August 18, 1991, she and KuJay Xiong got married. He was 20 years old while she was only 17. She started using the name Kellie May Xiong or Kellie Xiong.
- In February 2005, she was charged with writing a bad $42 check in Eau Claire. By July 2005, she had not paid the owed money despite numerous letters sent to her home so a criminal case was filed against her. Eventually, she paid the money so the case was dismissed.
- In August 2006, she and KuJay divorced. They have two sons together namely Kheng Xiong and Xommvaxai Xiong. After the divorce, she moved to Minnesota where she met Derek.
- In June 2010, she and Derek got married.
- In 2011, she and Derek bought a townhouse in Windermere, Florida, USA for $210,900. In 2017, they bought another house in Oakdale, Minnesota for $260,000.
- In October 2018, she was crowned 2019 United States of America’s Mrs. Minnesota.
- On February 17, 2019, she represented Minnesota in USOA’s Mrs. 2019 in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA. She was unplaced. In May 2019, she was named 2019 Grand Marshal of the Oakdale Summerfest Parade.
- On May 25, 2020, Derek was caught on camera kneeling on George Floyd‘s neck for 9 minutes and 29 seconds. She separated from Derek on May 28, 2020 and filed a divorce petition in the Washington County District Court in Stillwater, Minnesota on May 31, 2020.
- On October 26, 2020, Washington County District Judge Juanita Freeman rejected her divorce petition and cited the possibility of fraud. In the judge’s order, she and Derek were allowed to submit a revised agreement. On February 2, 2021, their divorce was approved. She received $704,000 from the divorce settlement, leaving Derek with $421,000. Amanda Mason-Sekula represented her while he represented himself in the divorce.