Leylah Annie Fernandez is a professional tennis player who competes under the Canadian flag. She is of Ecuadorian and Filipino descent.
Aside from playing tennis, Fernandez also enjoys solving Rubik’s cubes and salsa dancing. Here are 13 more things about her:
- She was born in Montreal, Quebec, Canada to Ecuadorian father Jorge Fernandez and Filipino mother Irene Exevia.
- She is the second among three siblings. Her older sister Jodeci Fernandez is a dentist while her younger sister Bianca Jolie Fernandez is also a tennis player.
- She is fluent in English, French and Spanish.
- She loves desserts, particularly molten lava chocolate cake.
- She is 5’6″ tall and she is left-handed.
- Growing up, she competed in track-and-field and played football and volleyball. In 2008, she started playing tennis.
- In 2017, she played the first events of her career on ITF Circuit in the U.S. and Canada.
- In 2018, she played and won the first WTA match of her career.
- In 2019, she made her professional tennis debut.
- Amid the new coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic in 2020 and 2021, she lived and trained in Boynton Beach, Florida, United States where was coached by Romain Deridder and her father, who is a former professional football player.
- In 2020, she reached the first round in the Australian Open, the second round in the U.S. Open and the third round in the French Open.
- In 2021, she reached the first round in the Australian Open and Wimbledon and the second round in the French Open.
- She was runner-up to 2021 US Open women’s singles champion Emma Raducanu of England.