Michelle Miller Odinet is a white woman from Louisiana, United States. She resigned as the Lafayette City Court Judge a day before 2022.
“I take full responsibility for the hurtful words I used to describe the individual who burglarized the vehicles at my home,” Odinet wrote in her resignation letter. “I am sorry for the pain that f have caused my community and ask for your forgiveness, as my words did not foster the public’s confidence and integrity for the judiciary.”
“After much reflection and prayer, and in order to facilitate healing within the community, I hereby resign as judge of the Lafayette City Court effective immediately,” Odinet continued. “I am sending a copy of this letter to the Secretary of State and hope that a special election can be scheduled to fill the vacancy that my resignation creates.”
Odinet is a mother of four. Here are 13 more things about her:
- She was born in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Her husband Kenneth Louis Odinet, Jr. is a plastic surgeon and an otolaryngologist who became a Lafayette Parish coroner. They live in Bendel Gardens, Lafayette, Louisiana with their four children.
- Aside from New Orleans and Lafayette, she has lived in different parts of Louisiana including Grand Isle and Metairie.
- She previously lived in Missouri City, Texas, USA.
- In 1990, she earned her bachelor’s degree at H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial College in New Orleans.
- In June 1991, she joined the New Orleans district attorney’s office as a part-time prosecutor.
- In 1993, she earned her Juris Doctor from Tulane University Law School in New Orleans. In November 1993, she became a full-time assistant assistant attorney.
- From September 1996 to December 1996, she was a part-time worker for an indigent defender program.
- In December 1996, she became the assistant district attorney in Lafayette.
- In 2019, she returned to the Lafayette Parish’s public defender’s office after taking a break from her career to homeschool her four children.
- On November 3, 2020, she was elected as a Lafayette City Court Judge. She ran as a Republican.
- On December 13, 2021, a video of her watching footage of police apprehending an African-American man accused of burglarizing her Bendel Gardens home circulated on social media. In the video, one of her sons says, “And mom’s yelling, ‘N—-r! N—-r!'” She then laughs after saying, “We have a n—-r. It’s a n—-r, like a roach.”
- To explain the video of her saying racist words that was leaked on December 13, 2021, she said she was on a sedative at the time and had no recollection of the event. On December 16, 2021, she agreed to take a temporary leave without pay. She was 53 years old when she resigned as a Lafayette City Court Judge on December 31, 2021.