Yao Pan Ma was a Chinese man who lived in New York, United States. Here are 10 more things about him:
- He was originally from China, where he worked as a dim sum chef.
- He was married to Baozhen Chen. She was 4 years younger than him. They lived in Guangdong, China.
- He and Chen have a son and a daughter who both live in China.
- In October 2018, he and Chen immigrated to the U.S. from China. They lived in an apartment in Chinatown, Manhattan, New York City, New York.
- In December 2019, he and Chen lost their Chinatown apartment to fire so they had to move in with relatives.
- He worked as a general kitchen worker at a Chinese restaurant in New York while she worked as a home health care attendant. When the new coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic hit in 2020, he lost his job and he had not worked long enough to qualify for unemployment benefits.
- In September 2020, he started collecting returnable bottles and cans to earn money for food. They lived in the Wagner Houses of the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) in Manhattan.
- On April 24, 2021, he was collecting cans to make money for his family at Third Avenue and East 125th Street in East Harlem, Upper Manhattan, New York City when Jarrod Powell, then 49, of New York City was caught on camera kicking him in the head at least six times. He was rushed to the intensive care unit of Harlem Hospital in New York City where he was placed in a medically induced coma.
- He and Chen spent much of their time together experimenting with different ingredients and cooking up pastries and dumplings in the kitchen, she told the New York Daily News on April 25, 2021.
- On December 31, 2021, he died of his injuries. He was 61.