August Anthony Alsina Jr. is a singer, a songwriter and a rapper born in New Orleans, Louisiana, United States to the late August Alsina Sr. and Sheila Alsina. Here are 13 more things about the musician:
- He was inspired to sing by Lauryn Hill in “Sister Act 2“, which was released on December 10, 1993.
- In 2005, his mother moved him from New Orleans to Houston, Texas, USA.
- His father battled crack addiction and died in 2006.
- In 2007, he uploaded a cover of “Hypothetically” by Lyfe Jennings on YouTube. His musical influences include Jennings, Usher and Chris Brown. Released on July 18, 2016, DJ Khaled‘s song “Do You Mind” features him, Brown, Rick Ross, Jeremih, Future and Nicki Minaj.
- He has one sister named Netia La’Branch and three brothers namely Melvin La’Branch III, Travis LaBranch and Jamal LaBranch. He was 6 years younger than Melvin, who was fatally shot on August 31, 2010. Melvin and his fiancé named Chandra have three children namely Chaylin La’Branch, Amaiya La’Branch and Kayden La’Branch, who were born in 2006, 2007 and 2009, respectively.
- In 2011, he relocated to Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- On August 20, 2013, Radio Killa and Def Jam released his debut extended play “Downtown: Life Under the Gun.”
- He is battling the rare autoimmune disease Guillain-Barré syndrome, which led to a collapse on stage in 2014. Def Jam released his debut studio album “Testimony” on April 15, 2014 and his second studio album “This Thing Called Life” on December 11, 2015.
- He is 21 years younger than Jada Pinkett Smith. When they met in 2016, she and Will Smith separated but were still married.
- In 2018, he became the legal guardian of his nieces Chaylin, Amaiya and Kayden after their mother died from cancer.
- On February 14, 2019, Shake The World released his second EP “Forever and a Day.”
- On June 26, 2020, Shake The World and Empire Distribution released his third studio album “The Product III: State of Emergency“. On June 30, 2020, he told “The Breakfast Club” host Angela Yee that Will had given him permission to have an affair with Jada, which both Will and Jada denied. On July 10, 2020, Jada told Will in her Facebook show “Red Table Talk” that she helped him with his problems with his mental health and “got into a different type of entanglement” with him. The music video of his song “Entanglements” with Ross was released on September 18, 2020.
- In 2021, he released a single titled “Pretty“.