Jada Koren Pinkett Smith was born in Baltimore, Maryland, United States to Robsol Pinkett, Jr. and Adrienne Banfield-Jones. Pinkett, who is African-American, ran a construction company while Banfield-Jones, who is of Jamaican and Bajan descent, was the head nurse of a clinic in Baltimore.
Smith, Will Smith and their two children live in Malibu, California, USA. Here are 13 more things about her:
- In 1989, she graduated with a bachelor’s degree in dance and theatre. In 1990, she attended the North Carolina School of the Arts. She made her television debut when she played Beverly in “True Colors” and Natalie in “Moe’s World” in 1990. She appeared in “21 Jump Street” and “Doogie Howser, M.D.” in 1991 and played Lena James in “A Different World” from 1991 to 1993.
- She made her film debut when she played Ronnie in “Menace II Society” in 1993. She starred in “The Inkwell“, “Jason’s Lyric” and “A Low Down Dirty Shame” in 1994, “Demon Knight” in 1995 and “The Nutty Professor“, “If These Walls Could Talk” and “Set It Off” in 1996.
- She and Tupac Shakur became friends when they both attended the Baltimore School for the Arts in Mount Vernon, Baltimore. She appeared in the music videos of his songs “Keep Ya Head Up” and “Temptations“, which were released on October 28, 1993 and August 29, 1995, respectively. In 1995, she contributed $100,000 towards his bail as he awaited an appeal on his sexual abuse conviction. He was shot in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA on September 7, 1996 and he died in the hospital on September 13, 1996.
- In 1994, she created her fashion label called Maja. In the same year, she met Will on the set of “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air“. Grant Hill, a National Basketball Association player from 1994 to 2013, was a student of Duke University in Durham, North Carolina, USA when they dated.
- In 1997, she was the emcee of the Million Woman March in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. On December 31, 1997, she and Will got married at The Cloisters in Lutherville, Maryland. She gave birth to Jaden Smith in July 1998 and Willow Smith in October 2000. She starred in “Bamboozled” in 2000, “Kingdom Come” and “Ali” in 2001 and “Maniac Magee” in 2003.
- In 2002, she formed the metal band Wicked Wisdom with her as the lead vocalist, Pocket Honore as the guitarist, Cameron “Wirm” Graves as the keyboardist and Rio Lawrence as the bassist. On February 21, 2006, her production company 100% Womon and Suburban Noize Records released the band’s self-titled debut album, which was executive produced by Will.
- In 2004, she published her first children’s book “Girls Hold Up This World.” In the same year, she met scientologist Tom Cruise during the filming of “Collateral“. She and Will later donated $20,000 to the Hollywood Education and Literacy Program (HELP), Scientology’s basis for homeschooling.
- She played Niobe in “The Matrix Reloaded” and “The Matrix Revolutions” in 2003 and in “The Matrix Resurrections” in 2021. She voiced Gloria in “Madagascar” and “A Christmas Caper” in 2005, “Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa” in 2008, “Merry Madagascar” in 2009, “Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted” in 2012 and “Madly Madagascar” in 2013 and “Penguins of Madagascar” in 2014.
- In 2006, she donated $1 million to the Baltimore School for the Arts. She starred in “Reign Over Me” in 2007, “The Women” and “The Human Contact” in 2008. She played Christina Hawthorne in “Hawthorne” from 2009 to 2011 and Fish Mooney in “Gotham” from 2014 to 2017. She starred “Magic Mike XXL” in 2015, “Bad Moms” in 2016 and “Girls Trip” in 2017.
- She and Will separated but were still married when she met August Alsina in 2016. In 2018, she started hosting her Facebook show “Red Table Talk”. On July 10, 2020, she told Will in the show that she “got into a different type of entanglement” with Alsina.
- In 2018, she revealed that she had been diagnosed with alopecia. She starred in and “Angel Has Fallen” in 2019. She won the MTV Trailblazer Award in 2019, the Outstanding Host in a Talk, Reality, News/ Information or Variety from the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) Image Awards in 2020 and the Outstanding Informative Talk Show from the Daytime Emmy Awards in 2021.
- On December 28, 2021, she took to Instagram to share a video of her closely shaved hair. She said, “Now at this point, I can only laugh.”
- On March 27, 2022, she and Will attended the 94th Academy Awards at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles, California. When presenter Chris Rock joked about her shaved head with a reference to “G.I. Jane“, Will walked onstage and slapped Rock. Will later won his first Oscar award and apologized to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) but not to Rock.