Jason D. Van Dyke is a white man born in Hinsdale, Illinois, United States. Here are 13 more things about him:
- He and his wife have two children.
- In 1996, he graduated from Hinsdale South High School in Darien, Illinois.
- In 2000, he graduated from St. Xavier University in Chicago, Illinois with a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice.
- In 2001, he joined the Chicago Police Department in Chicago.
- From 2001 to 2014, a total of 20 citizen complaints were filed against him.
- He was involved in preparing questionable documentation of a shooting in 2005.
- On October 20, 2014, he shot Laquan Joseph McDonald, 17, of Chicago 16 times. The teenager died that day.
- On November 24, 2015, he turned himself in to authorities. He was charged with first-degree murder. On November 30, 2015, he was granted bail, which was set at $1,500,000. He was released from jail after posting $150,000.
- On December 16, 2015, a grand jury indicted him on one count of official misconduct and six counts of first-degree murder. On December 29, 2015, he pleaded not guilty to the charges.
- On March 23, 2017, he was charged with six counts of first-degree murder and 16 counts of aggravated battery.
- On October 5, 2018, he was found not guilty of official misconduct but guilty of second-degree murder and 16 counts of aggravated battery with a firearm. On January 18, 2019, he was sentenced to 6.75 years in prison for the second-degree murder conviction alone.
- On February 5, 2019, he was transferred to the Federal Correctional Institution in Danbury, Connecticut, USA. He was assaulted by other inmates while in the general population during his first week at the facility so he was transferred to the Federal Correctional Institution, Otisville in Otisville, New York, USA. In November 2019, he was transferred to a state prison outside Illinois.
- He was 43 years old when he was released from prison on February 3, 2022 due to good behavior in prison. On April 18, 2022, federal authorities said they will not criminally charge him.
Categories: biographical data, LISTS, North America, United States
Leave a Reply