Patrick Lyoya biography: 13 things about Grand Rapids, Michigan man from DR Congo

Patrick Lyoya was a Congolese refugee living in Michigan, United States. His paternal uncle Joshua Kibezi Munonge is the head of the nonprofit organization African Community Kalamazoo.

Lyoya has two daughters. Here are 13 more things about him:


  1. Originally from the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Lyoya is the oldest among the six children of Peter Lyoya and Dorcas Lyoya.
  2. When he was young, his father earned a living by selling Primus beer and clothes between Bukavu, DR Congo and Burundi and his mother helped.
  3. In 2003, he, his parents and his five younger siblings fled to Malawi. They lived in Dzaleka, the first refugee camp in Malawi.
  4. In 2014, he and his family moved from the DR Congo to the U.S. as refugees fleeing violence. They lived in apartment complex in Lansing, Michigan. In June 2014, he and his mother signed the lease for $708 a month. He had three arrests related to stolen vehicles in Michigan. In each case, he pleaded guilty to misdemeanors. He also had four traffic-related offenses, including convictions for operating while intoxicated and driving on a suspended license.
  5. In 2015, he moved from Lansing to Grand Rapids, Michigan where he lived with his girlfriend. He still often visited his family in Lansing. In August 2015, he was charged with driving while drunk but failed to appear at three subsequent hearings. 
  6. In 2016, he filled out a court form, in which he misspelled both his apartment’s street name and his employer of one year.
  7. In 2017, a police officer arrested him while he was highly intoxicated.
  8. In 2018, he worked at a turkey processing plant but left after a co-worker stabbed him in the belly.
  9. In 2019, his girlfriend gave birth to their first daughter.
  10. In February 2022, his girlfriend gave birth to their second daughter.
  11. At 8:11 a.m. on April 4, 2022, Grand Rapids Police Department officer Christopher Schurr pulled him over a vehicle he was in for improper registration in Grand Rapids. They later fought over the officer’s Taser. Wayne Butler witnessed the struggle, which ended with the officer fatally shooting him in the head. After the shooting, Schurr was placed on paid leave and stripped of police powers pending investigation.
  12. He died at the age of 26. On April 5, 2022, his family was given permission to transfer his body to a funeral home of their choosing. That day, his father told News 8 through interpreter Israel Siku that he was “a good kid,” “a smart kid” and “a hard worker.”
  13. Footage of his fatal shooting was not released by the Grand Rapids Police Department until April 13, 2022. Schurr’s identity was not released until April 25, 2022.

1 reply »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.