Amanda Christine Riley is a former resident of Gilroy, Santa Clara County, California, United States. Here are 13 more things about her:
- She is a former principal of Pac Point Christian Academy in Gilroy.
- Aside from Gilroy, she has lived in other parts of California including San Jose, Los Gatos, Riverside and Mountain View.
- She is 9 years younger than her husband Cory Patrick Riley.
- She and Cory have two sons together. He and their sons moved from California to Austin, Texas, USA.
- In October 2012, she launched a blog titled Lymphoma Can Suck It. While living in San Jose, she used the blog to falsely report that she was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma, a type of cancer, in June 2012. She also used Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to cultivate a social media presence.
- In September 2013, Lymphoma Can Suck It added a link to a support page that enabled people to donate money online. She solicited donations from individuals to help pay for cancer treatments she never needed nor received. Between September 13, 2013 and March 15, 2016, she received 447 online donations totaling $60,272.43 after paying fees though the support page alone.
- On April 6, 2016, she altered a doctor’s note to read that she was “in treatment for cancer”.
- In 2019, an investigation of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Criminal Investigation (CI) and the San Jose Police Department uncovered her fake cancer scheme. The government identified 349 donors who gave $105,513 towards her fabricated medical expenses.
- On July 27, 2020, IRS special agent Arlette Lee filed a criminal complaint charging her with one count of wire fraud.
- On August 27, 2020, she appeared before Magistrate Judge Susan van Keulen via Zoom and was represented by Rabin Nabizade.
- On October 12, 2021, she pleaded guilty to one count of wire fraud.
- On May 3, 2022, she was sentenced to 5 years in prison and ordered to pay restitution in the amount of $105,513. The sentence included a 3-year period of supervision following her release from prison.
- She was 37 years old when “Scamanda“, a Lionsgate Sound podcast about her, premiered on May 15, 2023.
Categories: biographical data, LISTS, North America, United States
Leave a Reply