Kayla Elaine Matulka was a native of Nebraska, United States. Here are 13 more things about her:
- She was born in Omaha, Nebraska to Joseph F. Matulka and Tammi Milenkovich Matulka. Joseph is Joseph B. Matulka and Ann Matulka‘s son while Tammi is Richard Milenkovich and Verna Milenkovich‘s daughter.
- She grew up in Blair, Nebraska and lived in different parts of Nebraska including Lincoln, Monroe, Columbus and Malmo. In Lincoln, she worked for the city attorney’s office, Husker Co-operative, Bank of the West, US Bank and the City of Lincoln Parks and Recreation Department. She also worked as a waitress at Lippy’s BBQ in Malcolm, Nebraska.
- Her sisters Rachael Matulka Kuhr and Heather Matulka Hansen live in Blair. Kurh and Kuhr’s husband have two children namely Madelyn Kurh and MaKenna Kuhr while Hansen and Hansen’s husband Trent Hansen have three children namely Henry Hansen, Claire Hansen and Sophia Hansen.
- She attended Blair Community Schools in Blair before transferring to Fort Calhoun High School in Fort Calhoun, Nebraska where she enjoyed cheerleading. She also loved taking online classes.
- She is Anthony S. Greisen‘s former girlfriend. They have two children together namely Jayden Matulka and Kinzlea Greisen. She was later engaged to Kolton J. Barnes, who was 1 year younger than her.
- In 2009, she received her general equivalency diploma (GED) from Metro Community College in Omaha. In the same year, she gave birth to Jayden.
- In June 2013, she earned her bachelor’s degree in business administration from Southeast Community College in Lincoln.
- In December 2013, she earned her associate of arts degree from Northeast Community College in Norfolk, Nebraska.
- In 2014, she gave birth to Kinzlea. From 2014 to 2019, she attended Nebraska Wesleyan University in Lincoln through online classes.
- She raised Jayden and Kinzlea in Lincoln. On May 1, 2020, she moved from Lincoln to a schoolhouse converted into a house in Malmo with Barnes, Jayden and Kinzlea.
- On July 12, 2020, she and Barnes shared a couple of beers with their neighbors in Malmo, Haley Nice and Nice’s husband, while the two couples’ children played on a trampoline and swing. She and Barnes told their new neighbors about their plan to get married in October 2020.
- On the evening of July 15, 2020, Barnes allegedly fatally strangled her and stabbed her 24 times in their bedroom in Malmo after she ended their relationship. He allegedly fatally stabbed their dog Diesel in the same room before leaving the house. On the morning of July 16, 2020, Jayden and Kinzlea found her mother and their dog dead. Barnes was arrested later that day.
- She died at the age of 27.