The assault took place at the intersection of Southwest Taylor Street and Broadway a couple blocks from the Multnomah County Justice Center in Portland. Love was there with his fellow rioters robbing a white man.
When a transgender woman tried to intervene and stop the rioters, they also robbed her. It was witnessed by Haner and his girlfriend Tammie Martin while they were in their pickup truck parked outside a 7-Eleven store nearby.
Martin and Haner were there to pick up something at the 7-Eleven store. They were not to join the protests.
Haner intervened to save the transgender woman but he was attacked by Love and his fellow rioters. A white woman tried to help Haner but she ended up being punched and tackled to the ground by the rioters and Martin was also attacked by a female rioter.
When Haner tried to flee by driving off, the rioters tried to open his door. The vehicle crashed into a tree and the rioters dragged him out of it and assaulted him while he was helpless on the ground.
“I ain’t trying to hurt no one,” Haner told the rioters who were surrounding him. Love asked him, “What the f**k is you talking about, n****r?”
Love hit Haner repeatedly on the face, backed off then quickly returned and kicked the latter on the forehead, which left the victim unconscious as shown in the videos taken by witnesses. When police arrived, the victim was still unconscious.
“The Portland Police Bureau is taking this assault and other incidents of violence extremely seriously,” Portland Police Bureau chief Charles “Chuck” Lovell stated. “Our Detectives continue to investigate this assault as well as other acts of violence directed toward protestors but we need more than just videos from social media.”
“In order to hold individuals responsible for criminal acts, we need the public to provide information and refrain from tampering with evidence,” Lovell continued. Here are 13 more facts about Haner:
- He was born on September 3, 1980.
- He attended Mount Hood Community College in Gresham, Oregon.
- He is a former Wildland firefighter.
- He is a former convicted drug offender. Since his probationary release from prison, he has been trying to turn his life around by remaining clean and working construction and odd jobs.
- He is a laborer at General Labor and Industrial Staffing Solutions (GLISS), LLC in Wilsonville, Oregon.
- On August 17, 2020, his older brother Brian Haner organized a GoFundMe page for him. In 24 hours, it received almost $100,000 donation. The day he was attacked by Love happens to be Brian’s 42nd birthday.
- On August 16, 2020, he consoled the transwoman whose skateboard and backpack were stolen by rioters in Portland. He asked the rioters to return her belongings but to no avail.
- When he was trying to help the transwoman, the rioters called him a white supremacist and one African-American woman physically assaulted him, Martin told KPTV.
- After being brutally assaulted by Love and other rioters, he was taken by an ambulance to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
- Because of the attack, he suffered from broken ribs and bruising.
- On August 17, 2020, he was released from the hospital and continued his recovery at home.
- He and Martin live together in Portland.
- Aside from Portland, he also lived in other areas of Oregon namely Grants Pass, Phoenix, Shady Cove, Madras, Wood Village, Bend and Medford.