Commony known as Miesha Tate, Miesha Theresa Tate-Schmidt is a professional mixed martial artist whose fight name is Cupcake. She is Robert Schmidt and Michelle Tate-Schmidt‘s daughter.
Born in Tacoma, Washington, United States, Miesha attended Franklin Pierce High School in Tacoma. She wrestled on the boys’ team since she was a freshman until she graduated.
At age 22, Miesha joined the Ultimate Fighting Championship in 2013. Before becoming a UFC fighter, she fought in HOOKnSHOOT, Strikeforce, CageSport, Freestyle Cage Fighting and Atlas Fights.
While attending Central Washington University in Ellensburg, Washington, Miesha and her fellow MMA fighter Bryan Caraway dated. In 2014, he credited her with saving his mother Chris Caraway‘s life when Chris suffered an asthma attack while scuba diving.
Miesha is 5’6″ tall and competes in the bantamweight division. Here are 13 more things about her:
- On November 24, 2007, she made her professional MMA debut at HOOKnShOOT’s BodogFIGHT 2007 Women’s Bantamweight Tournament. After defeating Jan Finney in the quarterfinal, she lost to Kaitlin Young in the semifinal.
- In 2008, she defeated Elaina Maxwell and Jamie Lynn Welsh.
- In 2009, she defeated Jessica Bednark, Dora Baptiste, Lizbeth Carreiro and Sarah Oriza and lost to Sarah Kaufman. She won the FCF Women’s Bantamweight Championship by submitting Carreiro.
- In 2010, she successfully defended her FCF Women’s Bantamweight Championship title from Valerie Coolbaugh, defeated Zoila Frausto Gurgel in Strikeforce and won Strikeforce’s Women’s Bantamweight Tournament by beating Maiju Kujala and Hitomi Akano.
- On July 30, 2011, she became the Strikeforce Women’s Bantamweight Champion by submitting Marloes Coenen.
- On March 3, 2012, she lost the Strikeforce Women’s Bantamweight Championship title to Ronda Rousey. On August 18, 2012, she defeated Julie Kedzie in Strikeforce.
- On April 13, 2013, she lost to Cat Zingano in the finale of “The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs Team Sonnen.” On December 28, 2013, she lost to Rousey when they competed for the UFC Women’s Bantamweight Championship.
- In 2014, she defeated two UFC opponents namely Liz Carmouche and Rin Nakai.
- In 2015, she defeated two UFC opponents namely Sara McMann and Jessica Eye.
- On March 5, 2016, she won the UFC Women’s Bantamweight Championship title by beating Holly Holm. She lost the title to Amanda Nunes on July 9, 2016. On November 12, 2016, she announced her retirement from MMA fighting after losing to Raquel Pennington at “UFC 205.”
- On January 1, 2018, she announced that she is in a relationship with fellow MMA fighter Johnny Nuñez. On June 4, 2018, she gave birth to their daughter Amaia Nevaeh Nuñez.
- From November 2018 to March 2021, she worked for ONE Championship as a vice president. During this period, she moved from the U.S. to Singapore with Johnny and Amaia. On June 14, 2020, she gave birth to Daxton Wylder Nuñez, her second child with Johnny.
- On July 17, 2021, she made her UFC comeback at “UFC Vegas 31.” She knocked out Marion Reneau, who announced her retirement from MMA fighting after the fight.