Herbert Rice was a resident of New York, United States. Here are 13 more things about him:
- He had a few arrests for nonviolent offenses in New York, which did not require him to provide a deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) sample that would have been put in criminal databases.
- He has two sons.
- In 1980, he was living with the mother of his sons but she kicked him out of their house so he moved in with his mother in Bay Shore, Islip, Suffolk County, Long Island, New York.
- On March 22, 1980, he allegedly kidnapped Eve Helene Wilkowitz, 20, an Oakdale, Suffolk County native who was living in an apartment in Bay Shore.
- After binding, raping and fatally strangling Wilkowitz, he allegedly dumped her body on a front lawn of a house in Bay Shore, Islip, Suffolk County where her remains were found on March 25, 1980.
- When Wilkowitz was murdered, he was still living in his mother’s house in Bay Shore, which was four or five houses away from where Wilkowitz’s body was found on March 25, 1980. In the investigation of the murder, he never attracted suspicion and was not questioned by police who canvassed the neighborhood. When his mother was questioned, she said she had not noticed anything.
- In 1991, he died of cancer.
- He died at the age of 40.
- In 2020, the Suffolk County Police Department (SCPD) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) started the process of using genetic genealogy to find the person who raped and killed Wilkowitz on March 25, 1980. In July 2021, an FBI agent specializing in genetic genealogy found a distant relative of him. The detectives later discovered the DNA of one of his sons on a public genealogical website. He had not been close to that son, according to the latter. The son allowed the detectives to swab his cheek.
- In August 2021, his son’s DNA sample verified that he was Wilkowitz’s killer and rapist.
- On March 10, 2022, the SCPD exhumed his skeletal remains.
- On March 23, 2022, the Suffolk County crime lab retrieved a DNA sample from his remains. It was a solid match with the genetic material in the evidence kit of Wilkowitz.
- On March 30, 2022, district attorney Raymond Tierney, SCPD commissioner Rodney Harrison, Suffolk County’s Homicide Squad members and FBI agents formally announced that he was the killer and rapist of Wilkowitz.