Richard Bernard Moore is a black man from South Carolina, United States. Here are 13 more things about him:
- He is a resident of Spartanburg, Spartanburg County, South Carolina.
- In the 1980s, he had convictions on weapons and burglary charges in Michigan, USA.
- In 1991, he punched Michelle Crowder of Spartanburg County in the neck, kicked her repeatedly in the head and neck, stole her purse and severely beat her fiancé.
- In 1997, he pleaded guilty to assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature against a female.
- On September 16, 1999, he tried to rob Nikki’s Speedy Mart in Whitney, Spartanburg County, took a .45-caliber handgun from the store’s clerk James Mahoney, 42, and fatally shot Mahoney. He also shot at Terry Dean Hadden, then 50, of Pacolet, Spartanburg County, the only customer inside the store at that time, stole $1,408 from the store and drove to a nearby residence where he tried to buy crack cocaine.
- During his in 2001, prosecutors said he entered Nikki’s Speedy Mart on September 16, 1999 looking for money to support his cocaine habit and got into a dispute with Mahoney. He claimed that he acted in self-defense at the time after Mahoney drew the first gun. Represented by Lindsey Vann, he was convicted for the fatal shooting of Mahoney.
- In 2010, he and Linda Byrd moved from Michigan to Spartanburg. They have two children together including Alexandria Moore. He and Byrd also lived with another son, born in 2004, which she had from a previous relationship.
- On November 14, 2020, a jury of seven women and five men needed just two hours to convict him of murder for fatally shooting Mahoney.
- On November 16, 2020, he received the death penalty.
- In 2020, he exhausted his federal appeals. He was set to be killed by South Carolina at Broad River Correctional Institution in Columbia, South Carolina but the state’s correction department could not obtain drugs to use for a lethal injection so the execution was deferred.
- On April 7, 2022, South Carolina’s Supreme Court set his execution order.
- He is scheduled to be put to death on April 29, 2022. He could face a choice between the electric chair and the firing squad.
- He is 57 years old.
(This is a developing story. More details will be added.)
Categories: biographical data, LISTS, North America, United States
5 replies »