Sheng Thao is a Hmong American politician from Oakland, California, United States. Here are 13 more things about her:
- Her parents are refugees from Laos.
- She attended Mills College in Oakland and earned her bachelor’s degree in legal studies from the University of California, Berkeley in Berkeley, California.
- When her son was an infant, they were homeless and they lived in her car to escape domestic violence.
- From 2008 to July 2010, she worked for Merritt College in Oakland as a research and planning assistant.
- From 2011to 2014, she worked for UC Berkeley as a program analyst and events coordinator.
- From June 2014 to January 2019, she was the chief of staff to councilmember at large in Oakland. From June 2014 to June 2015, she was a council aide to council president pro tempore Rebecca Kaplan in Oakland.
- In May 2017, she became a board member of the Asian Pacific American Democratic Caucus of Alameda County.
- In January 2019, she became council president pro tempore in Oakland.
- In February 2019, she became an Alameda County Transportation Commission commissioner in Oakland.
- In May 2019, she became a Chabot Space and Science Center board member.
- In February 2021, she became a board member of CA Women Lead.
- On November 8, 2022, she won the election as the new mayor of Oakland.
- In January 2023, she will be sworn in as Oakland’s 51st mayor.