Michael Bernard Politte is a resident of Missouri, United States. Here are 13 more things about him:
- He is a resident of Hopewell, Washington County, Missouri.
- He is Edward Politte and Rita Politte‘s son and Chrystal Politte and Melonie Politte‘s younger brother.
- He is Chuck Skiles and Patsy Skiles‘ nephew. The couple lives next door to Rita’s house in Hopewell.
- He failed seventh grade three times.
- In February 1998, he threatened to kill his mother and himself and was hospitalized for behavioral issues.
- On December 1, 1998, a judge finalized his parents’ divorce, which was caused by his father’s infidelity. Because of the divorce, he had to split time between both parents.
- On December 4, 1998, he was at his mother’s house in Hopewell. In the evening, he was home alone while she was out working at a bar in Hopewell. He went out, met up with his schoolmate Josh SanSoucie, then 15, and invited SanSoucie to sleep over. He and SanSoucie hung out for hours until his mother got home around midnight.
- Just before 6:30 a.m. on December 5, 1998, he and SanSoucie awoke and noticed smoke in the room in his mother’s house in Hopewell. He found his mother’s body lying on her bedroom floor on fire.
- On December 7, 1998, he was arrested for his mother’s murder. He was booked into the Jefferson City Correctional Center in Jefferson City, Missouri.
- On January 29, 2002, his murder trial started in St. Francois County, Missouri.
- On January 31, 2002, a 12-member jury in St. Francois County found him guilty of killing his mother. He was later sentenced to life in prison.
- On April 22, 2022, Melonie and Chrystal went to to the Jefferson City Correctional Center with friends and family. He walked out of prison that day. Following his release, he moved in with Melonie, found a job as a carpenter and got his driver’s license.
- He was 38 years old when his story was featured on “48 Hours” on CBS on November 26, 2022.