Abdulmanap Magomedovich Nurmagomedov is the father and head coach of professional mixed martial artist Khabib “The Eagle” Nurmagomedov. They hail from Makhachkala, Dagestan, Russia.
Including Khabib, Abdulmanap has three children. The eldest is Magomed Nurmagomedov and the youngest is Amina Nurmagomedov.
Abdulmanap was 5’10” tall. Here are 13 things about the Russian MMA coach:
- He was born in Sildi, Tsumadinsky, Dagestan.
- He, his wife and their three children originally lived in Sildi. From Sildi, he and his family moved to a two-storey building in Kirovaul, Kizilyurtovsky, Dagestan. He converted the ground floor into a gym where Khabib learned wrestling.
- He attended Казиюртовская средняя школа (Kaziyurt Secondary School) in Dagestan.
- He was an Army veteran. He trained in judo and sambo in the military.
- He was a decorated athlete. He wrestled from an early age. He started his his sports career with free-style wrestling in Ukraine. He won championship titles in judo and sambo in the country. Among his trainers were Russian coaches Peter Butriy and 1976 Olympics 70kg gold medalist Vladimir Nevrozov.
- He entered УМСА Полтава (Ukrainian Medical Stomatological Academy Poltava) in Poltava, Ukraine in 1983 and graduated in 1987. He holds a bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Analysis and Audit.
- He was the coach of his younger brother Nurmagomed Nurmagomedov who became the Sambo World Champion in 1992 representing the national team of Ukraine.
- In 2001, he and his family moved from Kirovaul to Makhachkala.
- In 2005, he started training Khabib in combat sambo. He wanted his second son to get used to competing in a gi jacket.
- As a senior coach for the combat sambo national team in Dagestan, he trained several athletes in sambo in Makhachkala including Abubakar Nurmagomedov, Gadzhimurad Nurmagomedov, Islam Makhachev, Azamat Gashimov, Shamil Zavurov, Rustam Khabilov, Eldar Eldarov and Magomedrasul Khasbulaev.
- After testing positive for the new coronavirus (COVID-19), he suffered a heart attack. He underwent emergency heart bypass surgery and was placed into a medically induced coma twice in May 2020.
- On July 3, 2020, he died in a hospital in Moscow, Russia due to complications stemming from COVID-19 infection.
- He died at the age of 57.