Khabib Abdulmanapovich Nurmagomedov (Хабиб Абдулманапович Нурмагомедов) is a retired and undefeated mixed martial artist from Dagestan, Russia. Nicknamed The Eagle, he is known for competing in the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
Nurmagomedov is 5’10.” He competed in the lightweight division from 2008 to 2010 and from 2012 to 2020 and in the welterweight division from 2009 to 2011.
As a professional MMA fighter, Nurmagomedov competed from September 13, 2008 to October 24, 2020. Here are 13 more things about the Dagestani MMA veteran:
- He was born in Sildi, Tsumadinsky, Dagestan, Russia to Avar parents. He has an older brother named Magomed Nurmagomedov and a younger sister named Amina Nurmagomedov.
- When he made his professional MMA debut at “CSFU: Champions League” in Poltava, Ukraine on September 13, 2008, he submitted Vusal Bayramov. On October 11, 2008, he won the Pankration Atrium Cup 1 tournament in Moscow, Russia by defeating three opponents namely Magomed Magomedov, Ramazan Kurbanismailo and Shamil Abdulkerimov all via unanimous decision. All of his bouts in 2008 were in the lightweight division.
- On August 8, 2009, he won the Tsumada Fighting Championship 3 tournament in Agvali, Russia by knocking out both Said Akhmed and Eldar Eldarov in the welterweight division. On November 3, 2009, he submitted Shahbulat Shamhalaev in the lightweight division at “M-1 Challenge: 2009 Selections 9” in St. Petersburg, Russia.
- From 2010 to 2011, he competed in the welterweight division in Ukraine and in Russia. He defeated Ali Bagov on June 10, 2010, Vitaliy Ostroskiy on September 18, 2010, Alexander Agafonov on February 12, 2011, Said Khalilov on April 9, 2011, Ashot Shaginyan on May 5, 2011, Kadzhik Abadzhyan on July 2, 2011, Khamiz Mamedov on August 5, 2011, Vadim Sandulskiy on September 15, 2011 and Arymarcel Santos on October 22, 2011. All of his next fights, except the catchweight matches, were in the lightweight division.
- In 2012, he trained with SC Bazarganova in Kizilyurt, Dagestan, K-Dojo and AMA Fight Club in Fairfield, New Jersey, United States and Mamishev Fight Team in St. Petersburg. When he made his UFC debut on January 20, 2012, he submitted Kamal Shalorus in Nashville, Tennessee, USA, which was his first professional MMA fight in the U.S. He defeated Gleison Tibau at “UFC 148” in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA on July 7, 2012.
- In 2013, he trained with Fight Spirit Team in Kolpino, St. Peterburg. He knocked out Thiago Tavares in Sao Paulo, Brazil on January 19, 2013 and defeated Abel Trujillo via unanimous decision at a catch weight of 158.5lbs at “UFC 160” in Las Vegas on May 25, 2013. In June 2013, he married his childhood sweetheart, fellow Sunni Muslim and distant relative Patimat Nurmagomedova in Dagestan. More than 3,000 people attended the wedding, which cost 700,000 rubles ($21,200), according to Russia Beyond. On September 21, 2013, he defeated Pat Healy via unanimous decision at “UFC 165” in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- On April 19, 2014, he defeated Rafael dos Anjos via unanimous decision in Orlando, Florida, USA.
- His daughter Fatima Nurmagomedova was born in Dagestan on June 1, 2015. He went on a hiatus in 2015 but trained at KHK MMA in Bahrain.
- When he made his MMA return in 2016, he knocked out Darrell Horcher at a catch weight of 160 lbs in Tampa, Florida, USA and submitted Michael Johnson in New York City, New York, USA. In the same year, he co-founded his own team Eagles MMA Team with Russian billionaire businessman Ziyavudin Magomedov.
- On December 30, 2017, he defeated Edson Barboza via unanimous decision at “UFC 219” in Las Vegas. His son Magomed Nurmagomedov was born on the same day.
- He became the UFC Lightweight Champion on April 7, 2018 by defeating Al Iaquinta via unanimous decision at “UFC 223” in Brooklyn, New York. He successfully defended the title from Conor McGregor at “UFC 229” on October 6, 2018 in Las Vegas.
- On April 2, 2019, his wedding photos with Patimat, whose face was covered with a traditional veil, were posted on Twitter by McGregor with the caption, “Your wife is a towel mate.”He successfully defended his UFC Lightweight Championship belt from Dustin Poirier at “UFC 242” in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates on September 7, 2019. His third child, a son, was born on December 22, 2019.
- His father Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov, who was his head coach, died on July 3, 2020. Right after beating Justin Gaethje at “UFC 254” in Abu Dhabi on October 24, 2020, he announced his retirement from MMA at the age of 32.