Mejhor Morta was a United States Army soldier. He was stationed at the Fort Hood military base in Killeen, Texas, USA.
Morta was found dead while authorities were investigating the death of Mexican-American woman Vanessa Guillen, who was murdered by her fellow U.S. Army soldier Aaron David Robinson on April 22, 2020. Both Guillen and Robinson were also stationed at the Fort Hood military base.
Robinson disposed of Guillen’s body with the help of his girlfriend Cecily Anne Aguilar of Killeen. She is the estranged wife of Keon Devonte Aguilar of Michigan, USA, a former U.S. Army soldier also stationed at the Fort Hood military base.
The connection between Guillen and Morta’s deaths is still being investigated. Here are 13 things about the late Filipino-American soldier:
- He was born on May 8, 1994.
- He spoke English, Filipino and Cebuano.
- He and his four siblings were raised by a single mother, Mrs. Lerma Balico Morta McClarrie.
- He is the stepson of Lance McClarie of Pensacola, Florida, USA.
- He was originally from Old Kidapawan, North Cotabato, Philippines. Before moving the U.S., he also lived in Davao City, Philippines and attended Davao City National High School.
- He once worked as a dishwasher in a fast food restaurant.
- He was a resident of Pensacola. He attended Pensacola State College.
- In September 2019, he entered the U.S. Army as a Bradley Fighting Vehicle Mechanic and has been an Army private since then.
- In May 2020, he was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment, 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division of the Fort Hood military base.
- He was awarded the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal and the Army Service Ribbon.
- In the morning of July 16, 2020, he was not present for duty, which prompted a search of the Fort Hood’s public affairs office said in a statement obtained by ABC News.
- On July 17, 2020, a fisherman claimed in a 911 call that he saw what he believed to be a human body at the base of a dam in Bell County, Texas. At 12:07 a.m. on July 18, 2020, the Bell County sheriff’s deputies who responded to the call found his body near Stillhouse Hollow Lake, a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers reservoir about 15 miles from the Fort Hood military base.
- His death was consistent with drowning, according to the preliminary autopsy ordered by Justice of the Peace Garland Potvin.
(This is a developing story. More updates are being added.)