Payton S. Gendron, 18, of Conklin, Broome County, New York, United States allegedly fatally shot 10 people and injured three others at Tops Friendly Markets on Jefferson Avenue in Buffalo, Erie County, New York on May 14, 2022. He surrendered to police officers who confronted him inside the supermarket.
Gendron is the son of Paul Gendron, 51, and Pamela Gendron, 53. Both Paul and Pamela are civil engineers with the New York State Department of Transportation.
All of the 10 deceased victims are black. Here is the list:
|Ruth Whitfield||86||Buffalo, New York|
|Pearl Young||77||Buffalo, New York|
|Katherine Massey||72||Buffalo, New York|
|Heyward Patterson||67||Buffalo, New York|
|Celestine Chaney||65||Buffalo, New York|
|Geraldine Talley||62||Buffalo, New York|
|Aaron W. Salter||55||Lockport, New York|
|Andre Mackneil||53||Auburn, New York|
|Margus D. Morrison||52||Buffalo, New York|
|Roberta A. Drury||32||Buffalo, New York|
The other three victims had non-life threatening injuries. Here is the list:
|Christopher Braden||55||Lackawanna, New York|
|Jennifer Warrington||50||Tonawanda, New York|
|Zaire Goodman||20||Buffalo, New York|
Payton has pleaded not guilty to one count of first-degree murder. Here are more details about the victims of the mass shooting at Tops Friendly Markets in Buffalo on May 14, 2022:
- Ruth Whitfield has four children including former Buffalo Fire Commissioner Garnell Whitfield.
- Aaron W. Salter was a security guard and a recently retired police officer.
- Katherine Massey, Pearly Young, Roberta A. Drury and Celestine Chaney were shoppers at Tops Friendly Markets during the shooting.
- Katherine Massey is Barbara Massey‘s sister.
- Roberta A. Drury is Amanda Drury‘s sister.
- Celestine Chaney is Wayne Jones‘ mother.
- Pearly Young was a missionary who ran a food pantry.
- Zaire Goodman is the son of a staffer for New York senator Tim Kennedy.
- Zaire Goodman and Jennifer Warrington were treated and released from Erie County Medical Center in Buffalo.